Sunday 3 September 2017

Vicks Humidifier Modification: Adding a Humidity Controller with Hysteresis

One winter night, I woke up and my room was very foggy. I checked my Sunbeam humidity monitor and the humidity is around 80! I immediately turned off my Vicks humidifer (which I bought from Walmart). We all know that molds are the number 1 enemy in a very humid room. Since now, it is summer, I was able to do some modification and a bit of reverse engineering.

First, I opened the Vicks Humidifier and checked all the circuit inside and I did my first prototype and sensor characterization on an Arduino Mega 2560.

Unmodified circuit


Arduino Mega Prototype with DHT-11


Next,

Next, I modified a couple of things inside the Vicks humidifier. I only have 24V DC on the board and I planned on using an Arduino Mini. I checked Arduino Mini's schematic and it uses MIC5205 regulator. From MIC5205's datasheet, normal operation for Vin is from 2.5V to 16V. Since I don't have any regulator in my hand, I just created a 12V power supply using P2N2222A in emitter follower configuration with voltage divider in it. I used this 12V to power my Arduino Mini.

Next, the float switch needs to connect 24V to certain part of a circuit. I modified this and since I don't like to use a relay in this scenario and I want this be have a lower power consumption, I created a PNP/NPN combo to deliver the needed 24V on a part of Vick's circuit and this triggers the ultrasonic mist generator and the internal fan.

Almost Complete


Now it is working. I implemented a hysteresis from 50% to 60% of humidity.

Arduino Mini Mounted


I removed the scent filter since I think it is not that useful and it just consumes additional power. The DHT-11 humidity sensor goes out via the scent filter.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know what the silver triangle piece is called? Also, is that the heating component that turns the water to steam? Mine won't produce steam and I'm trying to fix it and order the parts.

    ReplyDelete